This is a historic community, three miles east of Eagle City. It has a population of about 50 percent native peoples and is a Han Kutchian Indian village.
This national preserve protects 115 miles of the 1,800-mile historic Yukon River and the entire Charley River basin. Numerous rustic cabins and historic sites dot the preserve, reminders of the famous Klondike Gold Rush in the late 19th century.
Canoeing, kayaking and river rafting are all popular along the Yukon River, as well as power boating. Longer boating trips often start in Dawson City or Whitehorse, and traverse their way to the lower Yukon.
The Visitor's Center at the Eagle Field Office has exhibits depicting the history and geography of the area, along with schedule hikes, talks and campfire programs. Camping is a popular activity—there are seven public cabins available.
Peregrine Falcons nest in the high bluffs overlooking the Yukon river, as well as the many eagles after which the city are named. Bears and moose are also common sightings in this area.
The area has been the historical home to Han Gwich'in people since before the arrival of Europeans in Alaska. A log-trading post called "Belle Isle" was built in 1874, and in the late 1800's, Eagle became a supply and trading center for miners working in the upper Yukon. Eagle was the first incorporated city in the Alaskan interior in January 1901 after gold was discovered there in 1897.
The US National Park Services page on the Yukon-Charley Rivers preserve.